Thursday, September 24, 2009

Land

1:9 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.

First, in case there were any doubts about "Heaven" being the same as "the heaven", this lays them clearly to rest.

Reading this, after the reinterpretation triggered by the last verse, the "and it was so" carries much less of a wallop.  I merely picture a bunch of committee members scurrying around with buckets and shovels.  This is the "creation" of the earth; it doesn't come from nowhere, but is merely made by organizing the water and the land.

One interesting linguistic point is that this is not a "dividing".  The dry land is not explicitly being divided from the water, as the light was from the darkness, or the waters above from those below.  Does that make this somehow different?  It certainly seems similar.  It all makes you think of God as someone who would sort his M&Ms by color.

My last observation on the text is the "in one place" bit.  This suggests an earth with a single ocean (and perhaps also that there is more dry land than ocean, but that may be stretching).

On a completely unrelated note, I just noticed that when I hover over one of the buttons in the editor I'm using to write this, it says "Justify".  Apparently, if I click on it, it will provide some sort of justification for my blogging.  Another button says "Align right", which presumably would drastically change my politics.

No comments:

Post a Comment